The people behind GSA
Global Seafood Alliance employees come from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines, but we all share a love of our waterways, our oceans and our seafood. We believe that proof of responsible performance – from fishing vessels to fish farms – is essential to build consumer trust in seafood.
The GSA team is collaborative, dedicated and focused on creating a better future for us and for our planet through responsible seafood practices. Our shared vision is a world that embraces the role of responsible seafood in meeting global nutrition needs.
Chief Executive Officer
Seafood industry veteran Brian Perkins joined the Global Seafood Alliance as Chief Operating Officer in early 2021 with more than 40 years of experience in the seafood certification space, events and media. For the previous six years, Perkins acted as Regional Director-Americas for the Marine Stewardship Council, the world’s leading wild fisheries certification program. At MSC, Perkins’ team energized the program in the Americas region, increasing consumer awareness, the number of MSC-labeled products and the number of participants engaged with the program. Over the years he has established strong working relationships with NGOs and industry, particularly during his 15 years at Diversified Communications in Portland, Maine, which operates leading seafood exhibitions in the United States and Europe.
Dr. George Chamberlain is the founding president of the Global Aquaculture Alliance, which started as an association of shrimp producers in the 1990s and is now the Global Seafood Alliance, a leading international non-governmental organization advocating for responsible seafood practices. Chamberlain began his career as an aquaculture graduate student in 1975 before directing aquaculture programs at Ralston Purina International and Monsanto. He led the development of an integrated shrimp farm in Malaysia and in 2004 he co-founded Kona Bay, a shrimp farming technology company in Hawaii and Asia, which multi-species breeding and genetics technology company Hendrix Genetics fully took over in 2020. Chamberlain served as President of the World Aquaculture Society in 1996. In 1997, George assisted in founding the Global Aquaculture Alliance and continues to serve as President.
Board of Directors
- Eric Bloom, Eastern Fish Co, Inc
- Rittirong Boonmechote, Thai Union Group
- Joe Chekouras, Mazzetta Company
- George Chamberlain, Global Seafood Alliance
- Marcus Coleman, Seafish
- Tony Downs, Sysco Corp.
- John Galiher, Lineage Logistics
- Laura Garrido, Pescanova USA
- Nelson Griffin, Red Lobster Seafood Co
- Bill Herzig, Sustainable Strategies & Initiatives
- Robert Jones, The Nature Conservancy
- Allen Kimball, Trident Seafoods
- Santhana Krishnan, Maritech
- Arni Mathiesen, Government of Iceland
- Robins McIntosh, Charoen Pokphand Foods Public Co., Ltd
- Gorjan Nikolik, Rabobank
- Ron Patton, Grobest Global Service Inc
- Tom Pickerell, Global Tuna Alliance
- Jeff Sedacca, Sunnyvale
- Terry Stachowiak, Rich Products
- Wally Stevens, Global Seafood Alliance
- Daniel Underkoffler, Sam’s Club
- Jennifer Wandler, US Foods
What we offer our employees:
- Company sponsored medical, dental, vision plans
- Company provided life insurance, as well as short and long-term disability
- Access to voluntary life insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Plan with company match
- Casual, open and informal work environment
- Flexible schedules
- Free-flowing coffee and tea
- Onsite fitness center
Our recent expansion has created an opportunity to add Certification Specialists to the Operations team.
In this customer facing role, the Certification Specialist is responsible for the performance of the certification process by providing guidance and administrative support to facilities worldwide.